Friday, May 04, 2007

So, Rob, Have you Met....

Ride report from May 2 with Steve.

BowWow and I decide to get in an after-work spin this evening, and meet at 5:30 for a ride we expect will be around 50 minutes. The first half of the ride will be into a headwind, but the second half will be a beautiful tailwind!

We meet at BowWow's house, and off we go - only to turn around 'cause I asked BowWow if he had now decided to go lidless on his rides. On the way back a car burns into the intersection and almost takes him out... better get that lid on in a hurry!

Finally we're off. up hill to the end of the street, then turn to head out to the highway. The highway is beautiful. New pavement last year - two lanes and a wide shoulder, and traffic that even with one lane would seem like there wasn't any. We're headed out to Leavitt. The Reserve is on our right, town limits on the left. We're riding the dividing line between two different worlds. We're just spinning along at about 25km/hr, nothing even remotely strenous, and chatting. Enjoying just being out on the bike. We're doing more of that again since our tailwind ride of last Saturday.

BowWow turns to me and asks, "So, Rob, have you met the new German Sheppard out here yet?"

"Yup," I reply, "I've gotten to know him up close and personal."

Just as I finish saying that we hear a rustling in the grass and I catch a glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye. BOOM! I'm off, sprinting hard. BowWow's laughing - this dog runs right by him and is chasing me hard. Suddenly I hear, "Get him! Hurry boy, catch him!"

Yeah, thanx BowWow, like this mutt needs any more encouragement.

By this time I'm pounding away at 45km/hr, and this dog is closing. BowWow is laughing so hard he can't even encourage the dog anymore. Finally Eddie gives up and then it's my turn... 'cause bait is riding towards Eddie! Suddenly BowWow is a little less concerned about how funny I looked.

Unfortunately, the mutt was tired out and never even gave BowWow a scare. I looked down at my HR monitor and I'm sure it had just dropped back down to 200 something. We couldn't pedal for the next couple of kilometers 'cause we were laughing so hard - what made it really funny? It wasn't the German Sheppard, but this little mutt that has been running out by us for years. He's never caught anyone, but always gives a good chase.

Thanx again, BowWow, for a great ride.

No comments: