Friday, May 04, 2007

My new Ride

I just realized that I haven't posted anything at all about my new Specialized Tarmac S-works!

My wife and I ended up flying to California to get it - as the bike shop there was the only one I could find anywhere in Canada or the US that could get me what I wanted in my size. As it turns out, if other bike shops had known what they were doing they could've got it for me. It all worked out good, though. Melanie and I were able to get away for a couple of days without the kids and really enjoyed ourselves. I've realized that I really need to make a point of taking off with her on a regular basis - even if it's just to Calgary - to get away from things for a few days and spend time with just us.

Back to the bike. It's a Tarmac S-works in size 49cm. Fits like a glove! SRAM Force equipped, and came with the Roval Wheels. I swapped out the Barmac stem/handlebars and went with the FSA K-wing bars and an FSA stem. I've also taken off the Roval wheels (currently for sale on ebay) and replaced them with Neuvation R28 SL3's. Using speedplay pedals, and riding on Conti GP4000 tires. Bike, with pedals, one water bottle cage, and all the mounting hardware for my Edge305 weighs 15.12 lbs. I'm looking at buying some Sprint 350 wheels to lighten it up another 200grams - that'll make it a real machine for Triple Bypass!! I'm also looking for the compact spider and rings to make the crankset a compact for that ride. I suspect I'll lose some more weight off the bike with that move. (Now to get the engine lightened up!)

I've loved riding the bike! It's fast, and comfy. I've still got lots to get used to with it, as my position has changed and I'm using different muscles now, but I'm really happy with it. I've got almost 700km on it in the last week since I bought it.

The original Roval wheels are fast - they just are pretty expensive and I've decided to sell them on ebay. If I get what I want out of them I'll have enough to have paid for the Neuvation's and a disc wheel for my TT bike and my Sprint 350's. Can't beat that! (And I'll still have my Zipp 404 tubulars!)

Which brings up my other new ride - my TT bike. It's a Guru with carbon seat stays. I've got it largely equipped with Dura Ace, but there's a few 105 parts on it. I'd like to get a 10spd bar end shifter for it so that I can run 10spd on it, that would mean less hassle with cassette changes and stuff. I've only ridden the bike once - a quick trip out to Leavitt and back - but the bike feels quick.

No comments: